In 1871 Cooperative Knife Company was founded by a group of Sheffield trained cutlers in Ulster County, New York.
Cooperative Knife didn’t last long but was reopened in 1876 by Dwight Divine and renamed Ulster Knife Company.
Under Divine’s leadership, Ulster quickly became a popular producer of private brand contract knives. Ulster produced high quality knives utilizing the Sheffield knife making methods they were founded on.
Over time profits dipped but Ulster continued to produce a high quality product by avoiding cutting corners. Unfortunately, in 1941 Ulster was forced to sell the company.
Albert Baer purchased Ulster Knife Company who modernized the production process. Ulster continued to produce high quality knives under their new ownership.
For more knife maker history check out these articles